Saturday, June 13, 2015

“CALI "IN CAGLI

by Sophie Imbuelten
 I am exhausted…..exhausted to the point of fighting to keep my eyes open, but that is not going to stop me from getting out of bed at 5:45 a.m. Just to be clear, it’s not that I never wake up at this time, the difference is, here in Cagli, I am compelled to actually get out of bed to start my day. 
If you are willing to pay the price, Santa Maria, or “Priests Mountain” as it is affectionately called, beckons me to climb it. At the top, it offers an unparalleled view of Cagli, the small Italian town in the Le Marche that time has simply forgot. Until now.

The Zags have arrived, and for a few short weeks, The “Americanos” will descend upon the village folk of Cagli. Piazza patrons, bar keeps and baristas, will patiently endure the screeching sounds of “BWON GEE..OR…NO! CHOW! And other well-intentioned attempts of cultural immersion into this otherwise charming hamlet.